Fletcher Mediation Training and Practicum
sponsored by the International Negotiation and Conflict Resolution (INCR) Program
MWI's Mediation Training Program is designed to prepare participants to effectively facilitate the mediation process. The program explores all aspects of mediation through lectures, demonstrations, interactive exercises, supervised role-plays and group discussions. MWI's mediation trainings meet the training requirement outlined in the Massachusetts Confidentiality Statute (MGL ch233 sec 23C) and Rule 8(c)(i) of the MA Supreme Judicial Court's Uniform Rules on Dispute Resolution.
DATES / TIMES
September/October 2012 (participants must attend all sessions)
- Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Saturday, October 6, 2012 - 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Sunday, October 7, 2012 - 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
REGISTRATION / COST / DEADLINES
The cost of the training is $275 per student. Space is limited to 24 participants. Checks should be made out to "Trustees of Tufts College" and delivered to Sheri Callender at Cabot 510 no later than 5:00 PM on Monday, September 17, 2012 to complete the registration process.
- Monday, September 17, 2012 - Registration and Cancellation Deadline (if you cancel after this date, there is a $50 fee)
- Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - Refund Deadline (after this date, there is no refund)
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
- An overview of mediation and other ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) methods; the nature and anatomy of conflict; mediation as "assisted negotiation."
- The role and skills of a mediator including: setting the stage, interactive listening skills, defining issues, identifying interests, transmitting information, communication skills, co-mediation techniques, settlement strategies and agreement writing.
- Ethical dilemmas facing mediators; dealing with challenging personalities; confidentiality and mediator liability.
PARTICIPANTS WILL RECEIVE
- 30-hours of mediation training: including multiple opportunities for each participant to mediate with supervision.
- Certificate of Completion: in accordance with M.G.L. chapter 233 section 23C (Confidentiality Statute).
- Mediation Manual and Resources: A complete guide to mediation including reference materials and a bibliography. Information on state and national dispute resolution organizations.
Click here for hotel information.
Also in attendance will be trainers and role-play coaches from the business and academic mediation communities.