||Dispute Resolution Experience
Formerly a senior attorney with the U.S. Treasury Department, Maxel "Bud" Silverberg served as Vice President-Tax Counsel of the parent company for Trailways, Delta Steamship Lines and other domestic and foreign corporations. His areas of practice include all types of business, employment, commercial and financial transactions and labor relations. Further, Bud has mediated more than 3,000 cases in conflicts regarding franchisers and franchisees; employer-employee relations; complex business transactions; retirement plans; massive torts and other areas. Bud has extensive experience mediating a wide range of contractual disputes between Automobile Companies and their Dealers, many emanating from audits. In addition, he has mediated conflicts between the Dealers and their customers, as well as many and varied employment disputes. A member of many local, state and national professional associations, Bud is a former member of the Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Committee to the Federal District Courts for the N. District of TX and is a member of the Texas Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Court-Annexed Mediations. Bud holds a B.B.A. from University of Texas and a J.D. from the University of Texas Law School. He also has an M.B.A. from Southern Methodist University, where he has been an Adjunct Professor of Dispute Resolution at the Law School since 1997. He holds several professional awards, including the Justice Frank Evens Award from the ADR Section of the State Bar in Texas and he was named one of the Texas Super Lawyers in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 by Texas Monthly.
Mediated more than 3,500 cases, resulting in a very high settlement rate, and has arbitrated numerous other cases. These cases have included disputes involving complicated business transactions; franchisers and franchisees, including audit and other disputes between Automobile Manufacturers and their dealers; employer-employee relations; securities; construction matters; intellectual property; shareholders' rights; retirement plans; personal injuries; massive torts; oil and gas; international transactions; real estate transactions and management; bankruptcy; family disputes, medical, legal and other professional malpractice; probates and estates; federal and state taxes; disputes involving city, county, state and federal governments; and other issues.
Honors, Memberships, and Professional Activities
- Past President of the Association of Attorney-Mediators.
- Adjunct Professor teaching Dispute Resolution at Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law.
- Member of the faculty of the Attorney-Mediators Institute, the Dallas Bar Association's Mediator Training, and the Dallas County Family Courts Co-Mediation Training.
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators and Panel of Mediators of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and the Duke University Private Adjudication Center.
- Chairman of special State Bar of Texas committee prepare a plan and pilot program for mediating grievances against Texas attorneys.
- Member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Texas (ADR Section and former member of its governing Council), the Dallas Bar Association (ADR Section, and past Chairman of Ethics Subcommittee).
- Former member of the Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Committee to the Federal District Courts for the Northern District of Texas, the Supreme Court of Texas Advisory Committee on Court-Annexed Mediations, the State Bar of Texas Task Force on Mediator Quality and Credentialing.
- Member of the Association of Attorney-Mediators, the Texas Association of Mediators, and the International Academy of Mediators.
- Recipient of the American Arbitration Association's Steve Brutsche Award for professional excellence in dispute resolution.
- Joint recipient with his wife, Rena Silverberg, of the Justice Frank G. Evans Award presented by the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section of the State Bar of Texas in 2005.
- Named by D Magazine as one of the best lawyers in Dallas in 2003.
- Named by Texas Monthly as one of the Texas Super Lawyers in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Selected by Best Lawyers in America as one of the Best Lawyers in America in its 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 Editions.
Lectures and ADR Trainings Conducted
- Faculty of the Attorney-Mediator Institute.
- Teaches alternative dispute resolution class at Dedman School of Law at Southern Methodist University, 1997 to present.
- Lecture and trainings conducted for Association of Attorney-Mediators, the Texas Association of Mediators, the New York City Bar Association, the Baton Rouge, Louisiana Bar Association, the Dallas Bar Association, the Dispute Mediation Service of Dallas, the Bexar County (San Antonio) Dispute Resolutions Service, the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section of the State Bar of Texas, the University of Texas Law School and others.
Background and Education
- Senior attorney with the United States Treasury Department
- Vice President-Tax Counsel of TCO Industries (formerly the parent company of Trailways, Delta Steamship Lines and other domestic and foreign corporations)
- Completed the following training programs:
- Dallas Bar Association Mediator Training Program
- Attorney-Mediators Institute Advanced Mediator Training
- CDR Associates Advanced Mediator Training
- State Bar of Texas Advanced Mediation Training
- Attorney-Mediators Institute Family Law Mediator Training
- Harvard Law School Negotiations Workshop and Advanced Negotiations Workshop
- Key Bridge Foundation Americans With Disabilities Act Mediation Workshop
- EEOC Mediation Training
- American Arbitration Association Arbitrator Training and Advanced Arbitrator Training
- National Association of Securities Dealers Arbitration Training and Advanced Arbitration Training
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators International Arbitration Training
- M.B.A. (Accounting) from Southern Methodist University
- J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law
- B.B.A. degree from the University of Texas