Mediator Information for “The Mediation Project” in the Norfolk Probate and Family Court Department
- Upcoming peer supervision will take place via conference call on
- September 27, 2019 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
- October 18, 2019 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- November 18, 2019 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
- December 17, 2019 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
- Contact Josh to rsvp and for dial-in instructions.
- Arrive at court by 8:45 AM to meet your mentor, co-mediator and observer. MWI’s meeting spot is in the designated courtroom, on the benches up front:
- Monday: Judge Peterson, courtroom 5
- Tuesday: First Justice Gorman, courtroom 1
- Wednesday: Judge Phelan, courtroom 4
- Thursday: Judge Cronan, courtroom 2
Screening / Mediation
- The Assistant Judicial Case Manager will provide you with the case folder.
- Meet the parties outside the courtroom and bring them to a reserved mediation room.
- Start the meeting by conducting a mediation screening session with the parties. If they choose to mediate:
- Have them sign the Agreement to Participate form.
- Provide mediation services.
- If parties reach agreement, you may show the agreement to Kim before parties sign it, if you find that helpful.
Post Screening / Post Mediation
- Have parties complete the Mediation Evaluation form.
- Complete an ADR Metrics form – Josh needs a copy of this from. The original stays in the court file.
- Make photocopies of every form used – One copy is for each party, one copy is for MWI. For photocopies please use the 2nd floor copier in the Judge’s Lobby.
- The court gets the original Agreement to Participate, the original Agreement or Stipulation and the ADR Metrics form.
- Parties must be back in court by 12:30 PM, if they want to try to be heard before lunch.
- Return the parties to the courtroom they came from and hand the file to the Assistant Judicial Case Manager.
- Spend at least 20 minutes debriefing the experience with your co-mediator and observer.
- At the end of the day submit copies of all paperwork to MWI and call or email Josh to update him about the day including any highlights, questions or concerns.
Forms: Mediators are asked to bring the following forms to court each time you attend court to mediate or observe:
- Room Sign
- Agreement to Participate in Mediation
- Participant Evaluation
- Metrics Report
- Blank Stipulation
- Separation Agreement – template – with children
- Separation Agreement – template – no children
- Norfolk Approved ADR Programs
- Shared Parenting Information
- Child Support Guideline text (pdf)
- Child Support Guidelines worksheet – (if you can’t open this form, try using Internet Explorer)
Mediators may review sample forms here:
- Separation Agreement with children
- Separation Agreement no children
- Suggested Reading “Suggested Checklist of Issues to be Addressed in Divorce”
Notarizing: Some court documents need to be notarized. If you need a notary, ask the Assistant Judicial Case Manager for assistance in finding a notary. If the Assistant Judicial Case Manager is not available ask Kim. If you are a notary, you may notarize documents if you wish.
Court Location and Directions: The Norfolk Probate and Family Court is located at 35 Shawmut Road, Canton, MA 02021. For directions to the court, click here. Free parking is available.
Key People at the Court:
Kim LaDue – Your main contact when in court.
Hon. Patricia A. Gorman
Hon. Virginia Ward
Hon. Paul Cronin
Hon. Lee M. Peterson
Hon. George Phelan (circuit judge)(alternate month covering only)
Register of Probate
Patrick W. McDermott
Judicial Case Manager
Assistant Judicial Case Managers
Nancy Gargiulo, Sessions Clerk
John Joe Hallissey, Sessions Clerk
Myisha Cesar-Louissant, Sessions Clerk
Goro Matsuo, Sessions Clerk
For More Information
Please contact Josh Hoch at email@example.com or 617-895-4028.