MWI District & Municipal Court Resource Page – BMC Central Municipal Court

Types of cases:

Small Claims & Civil

24 New Chardon Street
Edward W. Brooke Courthouse
Boston, MA 02114


T / Bus: Take the Red Line to Park Street or Charles/MGH, the Blue Line to Bowdoin, or the Orange Line to Haymarket.

Day/Time of Mediation:
Fridays at 2:00 PM

Key People at the Court

    • First Justice: Hon. Thomas C. Horgan
    • Clerk Magistrate: Daniel J. Hogan
    • Assistant Clerks: Denise Donovan, Patty Wong-Murphy, Michael O’Loughlin


Utilize the general forms for Small Claims, and the Mediation Memorandum for Civil cases. There is also a BMC Central Status Report, which can be accessed here.


Street parking is available inconsistently and there are no parking lots designated for this courthouse.


When arriving at the courthouse, proceed through security and to the fifth floor. Civil sessions (cases referred through Marcus Stergio) are called in Courtroom C and Small Claims sessions are called in Courtroom D. The clerk’s office is on the sixth floor.

In Courtroom D there is a small bench on the left side of the room reserved for attorneys, mediators and interpreters. Feel free to sit there and make sure that the clerk knows you are there to mediate. The assistant clerk magistrate in this court gives his own brief introduction to mediation for the small claims litigants and then asks that the mediator gives their own. Please be prepared to stand before the courtroom and say a few words about mediation so that the litigants have the information necessary to make an informed decision when asked if they’d like to try mediation.


There are mediation rooms available in this court. Within both Courtroom C and Courtroom D there are small mediation rooms. If neither is open, you are welcome to try the mediation rooms adjacent to other courtrooms. If those others are locked, you may check in with the clerk and ask where he suggests you and the parties go to mediate.


When the mediation has concluded, bring all paperwork and the case folder to the clerk in Courtroom D. He will ask you if you need a copy, and you should ask him for a copy of each form. He has a printer on his desk right there in the courtroom. After he has made you a copy he will let you know if he has other potential referrals still on the list.

For More Information

Please contact Vanessa Linsey at vlinsey@mwi.org or 617-895-4027.