Mediating Workplace and Franchise Matters | Mediation Trainer | Negotiation Trainer
Phone: 617-895-4026 | Email: email@example.com
Click here for availability, rates, and more information | Print, PDF and email this bio
Dispute Resolution Experience
Charles “Chuck” Doran is an experienced mediator specializing in the resolution of workplace, franchise and commercial disputes. A mediator since 1992, he is a member of the CPR Dispute Resolution Panel of Distinguished Neutrals and has provided mediation and other ADR services to a variety of clients including AT&T, Bose, BMW of North America, Coca-Cola, General Motors, Oxfam America, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD), and the USPS REDRESS I and REDRESS II Mediation Panels. In 1993, Chuck completed a Specialization in Negotiation and Dispute Resolution at the Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School. In 1994, Chuck founded MWI, a nationally recognized dispute resolution service and training organization based in Boston, MA that provides individual and corporate clients with mediation services, negotiation consulting and training, and mediation training. Chuck served as a member of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Standing Committee on Dispute Resolution and was Chair of the Qualifications Subcommittee. He is a member of the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Advisory Group and is a past president of the Association for Conflict Resolution, New England Chapter. He is also a Distinguished Fellow with the International Academy of Mediators (IAM) and the President-Elect of IAM’s Board of Governors.
- General Motors: Serves as a national mediator for disputes between Dealers and GM involving audit, incentive programs and fleet sales matters; Designed and led the GM Mediation and Arbitration Training Program which provided training to hundreds of GM Dealer and Corporate Mediators; Responsible for oversight and design improvements of national mediation and arbitration program managed by MWI for General Motors;
- BMW of North America: Mediator for variety of matters involving BMW Motor Cars and Motorcycles. Responsible for oversight and design improvements of national mediation and arbitration program managed by MWI for BMW of North America;
- USPS and EEOC: Contract workplace and employment mediator with the United States Postal Service and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission mediating federal discrimination, termination, and other matters relating to the workplace;
- 7-Eleven Incorporated: Franchise mediator for matters emanating from the franchise agreement which may result in rehabilitation agreements, terminations, or succession planning. Responsible for oversight and design improvements of the national mediation program managed by MWI for 7-Eleven.
Honors, Memberships, and Professional Activities
- Distinguished Fellow and Executive Committee Board Member (President-Elect), Board of Governors – The International Academy of Mediators (IAM) (2013 – Present);
- Appointed to serve as a member of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Standing Committee on Dispute Resolution and was Chair of the Qualifications Subcommittee (1999-2003);
- President and Director of the Association for Conflict Resolution, New England Chapter (NE-ACR) (formerly the Society of Professionals in Dispute Resolution – SPIDR). Elected to serve as President and former President-Elect and Director of the six state regional chapter of ACR International (1997-2004);
- Chair, Massachusetts Budget Coalition. Led statewide collaborative effort with 15 mediation providers across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to secure over $950,000 in legislative funding for court-connected mediation services (1997-2000);
- Arbitrator with the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Fee Arbitration Board (1996 to present).
Lectures and ADR Trainings Conducted
- Mediation Trainer. Designed and served as lead trainer for over seventy-five 20 to 40 hour basic and advanced training programs, totaling over 2250 hours since 1994. Mediation training clients include Coca-Cola, Bose Corporation, MWI, Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy and the Harvard Mediation Program at Harvard Law School;
- Negotiation Instructor and Presenter. Chuck has worked nationally and internationally with top sales, procurement, and delivery professionals to diagnose and resolve negotiation challenges across multiple industries including financial/consulting, healthcare, and high tech. Served as a negotiation instructor for the internationally attended “Program of Instruction for Lawyers” Negotiation Workshop at Harvard Law School as a teaching assistant to Professor Roger Fisher on multiple occasions.
Background and Education
- Graduate: Completed a Specialization in Negotiation and Dispute Resolution, at the Program On Negotiation, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA (1993);
- Undergraduate: B.A., Philosophy, Binghamton University, SUNY, Binghamton, NY; President Philosophy Club / Tenure Committee (1989).
Click here for availability, rates, and more information