Mediation Skills Refresher Program
MWI’s Mediation Skills Refresher Program is an eight-hour advanced mediation training program designed to refresh, recharge, and prepare mediators to effectively facilitate the mediation process. This program focuses on best practices for mediators, including how a mediator serves as a negotiation consultant, dealing with challenging behaviors, overcoming barriers to agreement, challenges to neutrality, and dealing with power differentials. This program is currently being offered online via Zoom.
Next Program: January 25, 2023 – 9AM to 5PM ET
Topics To Be Covered:
This advanced mediation program will cover the following topics:
- Being “purposeful” and understanding why and how mediators decide what to do next
- Assisting parties to move from positions, to interests, to options and to agreement (or to their best alternative to an agreement)
- How a mediator serves as a negotiation consultant
- The five principles of mediation and how a mediator can fulfill these principals
- The structure and stages of the mediation process including the how, when and why to move to each stage
- Co-mediation techniques (including planning with your co-mediator and giving and receiving feedback)
- Dealing with difficult behaviors and situations
- Strategies for helping parties overcome impasse
Who Should Attend:
- Mediators looking to increase their skill set and refuel their mediation tool kit
- Those interested in applying to or rejoining MWI’s District & Municipal Court Mediation Panel
- Trained mediators who would like to revisit areas discussed in basic mediation training and build their capacity to mediate effectively
Mediators interested in taking this training and applying to volunteer with the MWI Court Mediation Program must have completed at least 30 hours of basic mediation training.
Participants Will Receive:
- Training materials, handouts and other resources
- Eight-hours of advanced mediation training including opportunities to mediate with supervision in role-plays
This program is currently being offered online via Zoom and will be offered at the following location post-pandemic:
10 Liberty Square – 4th Floor
Boston, MA 02109
Click here for hotel information.
Registration & Cost
Training tuition is as follows:
- $250 per person (or $200 if registered a month in advance of the program) for those who completed basic mediation training with a program other than MWI;
- $125 per person (or $100 if registered a month in advance of the program) for those who completed basic mediation training with MWI, but have not mediated a case with MWI in 6 months or longer;
- Free for active MWI mediators.
If you qualify for either the first or second training tuition option from above, please select “Pay by Phone” from the payment option drop down menu on the registration page (www.mwi.org/register) and call 617-895-4027 to complete the registration process.
For More Information
Questions? Contact Clarice Parsons at firstname.lastname@example.org.